Pimento Cheese Grilled Sandwiches
Pimento cheese sandwiches are a common item in the lunch boxes of kids throughout the South. Who knows who came up with this odd combo, but the cheddar cheese and pimentos flavors are excellent together–bold, rich and filled with flavor.
Since this is so easy to make, I usually see it used for a quick sandwich in casual situations. It is the ultimate comfort food— coupled with tomato soup, it is pure perfection. For nicer occasions, serve the spread with crackers. Yum!
Here is how you can make it (for about 5 sandwiches, measurements below are a rough estimates— just go with what tastes and looks right for you):
- 10 oz extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup diced pimentos
- Hot sauce
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Slices of bread
- Mix the cheese with about this much mayonnaise:
- Add in the diced pimentos, hot sauce, cayenne pepper, and Worcestershire sauce and mix well.
- Place a grill pan or skillet over medium high heat. As the pan is heating up, spread the pimento cheese on slices of bread and butter the outsides. Grill in pan and serve. (You can also skip this step.)